'Smurfs' Writers Tackling 'Ringling Brothers' for Paramount (Exclusive)
David Stem and David Weiss, the writing team behind last year's The Smurfs, have been tapped to write The Ringling Brothers for Paramount.
John Davis and his Davis Entertainment are producing. Adam Kolbrenner of Madhouse Entertainment is also producing.
Plot details are being kept in the lion tamer’s cage but the studio says the project is being conceived as a family adventure in the spirit of Night at the Museum and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
The Ringling Bros. were seven brothers who ended up creating one of the most successful and largest circuses in turn-of-the-20th century America. The circus was able to buy its nearest competitor, the equally famous Barnum & Bailey, and create what was billed as The Greatest Show on Earth. The circus remains popular and still tours today.
The movie's story will be set in the present day.
Ira Napoliello overseeing for Davis Entertainment. Robyn Meisinger of Madhouse is exec producing.
WME-repped Stem and Weiss not only wrote the script for Smurfs (working on the story with Jay Scherick and David Ronn) but have also worked on the planned sequel, which is in development at Sony.
The kid-friendly writing team have credits that range from the Rugrats TV show to Shrek 2 to Daddy Day Camp.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!