Sonny Chiba Cuts Four-Picture Deal With Assembly Line (Exclusive)
The 72-year-old martial arts master will first star in the action drama "Bushido."
Iconic Japanese martial arts master Sonny Chiba has signed a four-picture deal with Assembly Line. The 72-year-old actor-director will kick off the pact by co-starring with Tony Todd in the action drama Bushido.
Based on an original story from Chiba, Bushido follows a band of Buffalo Soldiers and Japanese samurai serving together in the American Civil War. Assembly Line partners Neal Fischer, Destin Pfaff, Kern Saxton and Suren M. Seron will produce. Three more action projects will follow.
“This first project falls right up the alley of why Assembly Line was assembled, to create high quality films in a variety of genres," said the Gersh-repped Pfaff (Millionaire Matchmaker). "We couldn't be happier to be partnering with a legend such as Sonny Chiba.”
Chiba and Assembly Line previously teamed on Sushi Girl, which was written by Pfaff and Saxton, who also directed. Todd, Chiba, Mark Hamill, Michael Biehn, Danny Trejo and Jeff Fahey star in the thriller.
Assembly Line is also developing Catalytic, Todd's directorial debut about a magician's road trip on the eve of a supernatural apocalypse.
Chiba has been making movies, including Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and Executioner, for 50 years.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- Dark Graphic Novella Pays Tribute To The 10th Anniversary Of Arcade Fire's 'Funeral'
- Scientists Show Hitchcock Thriller To 'Vegetative' Man, Get Big Surprise
- Nick Jonas On How Fans Have Helped Him Transition From Band Member To Solo Artist
- Kim Kardashian Asks Nasim Pedrad About That 'SNL' Impression
- Jenny McCarthy Hasn't Watched 'The View' Yet: 'I've Been Hearing Mixed Reviews'
- Kirsten Dunst Doesn't Like Watching Herself On Screen
- Ariana Grande's Rumored Boyfriend Big Sean Says They Have 'Great Chemistry'
- Julianna Margulies & Jimmy Fallon Are Hilarious School Principals Who Sing the Morning Announcements (Video)