Original Spider-Man Art Sells For Record $657,250
The cover art to "Amazing Spider-Man" no. 328 from 1990 now becomes the most expensive piece of original American comic art.
An original piece of Spider-Man art sold for $657,250, smashing the record for original American comic art.
The previous record price was $448,125 for a page from issue no. 3 of the classic 1986 Batman mini-series The Dark Knight Rises.
The world record price for original comic art was set in June when the cover drawing for Tintin in America sold for $1.6 million dollars at an auction in Paris.
The record setting Spider-Man art is famed artist Todd McFarlane's cover drawing for Amazing Spider-Man no. 328, which came out in 1990. The picture features Spider-Man punching the Hulk in a way that smashes the logo.
Earlier in the auction, McFarlane's iconic cover drawing for Spider-Man no. 1 (also from 1990) sold for $358,500. Many observers had pegged it as more likely to break the record.
Demonstrating his power as the single most valuable character in Marvel's stable, Spider-Man holds the record for the most expensive comic book--Amazing Fantasy no. 15 at $1.1 million--and the most expensive piece of original art.
See a larger version of the cover below.
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- TV Review: For the Love of God, Watch The Americans Tonight
- Sundance Review: Cobie Smulders, Guy Pearce, and Kevin Corrigan Reinvent the Rom-Com in Andrew Bujalski’s Results
- Watch the Trailer for Amira & Sam, Featuring Paul Wesley in a Very Different Role
- 3-Sentence Reviews: White Columns, Philip Taaffe, and More
- Behati Prinsloo Marries a Lookalike Adam Levine in Tommy Hilfiger's Latest Campaign
- You Could Dine with Aaron Paul, Nina Dobrev, & More in Support of the Kind Campaign!
- Katy Perry's Super Bowl 2015 Halftime Show Will Be Epic - More Details Revealed!
- Chelsea Handler Shares a Topless Photo with Star of David Nipple Pasties