Original Spider-Man Art Sells For Record $657,250
The cover art to "Amazing Spider-Man" no. 328 from 1990 now becomes the most expensive piece of original American comic art.
An original piece of Spider-Man art sold for $657,250, smashing the record for original American comic art.
The previous record price was $448,125 for a page from issue no. 3 of the classic 1986 Batman mini-series The Dark Knight Rises.
The world record price for original comic art was set in June when the cover drawing for Tintin in America sold for $1.6 million dollars at an auction in Paris.
The record setting Spider-Man art is famed artist Todd McFarlane's cover drawing for Amazing Spider-Man no. 328, which came out in 1990. The picture features Spider-Man punching the Hulk in a way that smashes the logo.
Earlier in the auction, McFarlane's iconic cover drawing for Spider-Man no. 1 (also from 1990) sold for $358,500. Many observers had pegged it as more likely to break the record.
Demonstrating his power as the single most valuable character in Marvel's stable, Spider-Man holds the record for the most expensive comic book--Amazing Fantasy no. 15 at $1.1 million--and the most expensive piece of original art.
See a larger version of the cover below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR