'Spider-Man' Spinoffs Will Be Character-Driven, Say Producers
Creating movies from the "Amazing Spider-Man" series is "a challenge in every sense," explains producer Matt Tolmach.
Spider-Man producers have been talking about the multi-film franchise Sony plans to spin out from the current Amazing Spider-Man movie series, suggesting that Venom and Sinister Six will strive to be character-driven movies.
“It’s a challenge in every sense,” producer Matt Tolmach told SFX about finding the spin-off material in the Spider-Man mythos. “Obviously questions of traditional hero/villain dynamics have to be looked at. At the same time it’s an awesome challenge, because some of the greatest characters are in fact villains, and how you construct that is so much fun. People love those bad characters if they’re good bad characters, and love to watch them.”
Avi Arad said that Spider-Man’s rogues gallery in particular “has amazing villains, they are all character driven.” He suggested that the origins of the villains add to their complexity. “If you look at our villains, none of them were born like that,” he said, calling them “victims of circumstance.”
Arad drew particular attention to Venom, lined up to headline his own feature. “Our villains all represent a different side of the misunderstood, and some of them unfortunately turned to the dark side,” Arad said. “Venom happened to be a phenomenal character. With Eddie Brock, or if you do Flash Thompson, it doesn’t matter who is going to be inside the suit — what’s important is that a man like him is going to realise there comes a time when you wake up in the morning and say ‘How did I get here? There must be a better way.’”
Follow Heat Vision
- Hulu's April Fools' Gag 'Hulu Pets' Is A Pretty Convincing Streaming Service
- Watch Taylor Swift And Camila Cabello Totally Fangirl After Hearing Fifth Harmony On The Radio
- 'Black Girls Are Magic': Latest Episode Of 'Being Mary Jane' Powerfully Explores Race And Beauty With Real-Life Activists
- Scott Eastwood On His Gay Fans, Same-Sex Marriage And Whether Or Not A Gay Role Is In His Future
- Zayn Malik Struggled the Most With One Direction Tour Demands, 'This Is Us' Director Says
- Kim Kardashian is Told She May Not Be Able to Have More Kids in New 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' Clips (Video)
- Zoe Saldana Wants Twins Cy & Bowie to Be Super Stylish!
- Shia LaBeouf Explains Why It's Insane Being an Actor