'Spider-Man' Spinoffs Will Be Character-Driven, Say Producers
Creating movies from the "Amazing Spider-Man" series is "a challenge in every sense," explains producer Matt Tolmach.
Spider-Man producers have been talking about the multi-film franchise Sony plans to spin out from the current Amazing Spider-Man movie series, suggesting that Venom and Sinister Six will strive to be character-driven movies.
“It’s a challenge in every sense,” producer Matt Tolmach told SFX about finding the spin-off material in the Spider-Man mythos. “Obviously questions of traditional hero/villain dynamics have to be looked at. At the same time it’s an awesome challenge, because some of the greatest characters are in fact villains, and how you construct that is so much fun. People love those bad characters if they’re good bad characters, and love to watch them.”
Avi Arad said that Spider-Man’s rogues gallery in particular “has amazing villains, they are all character driven.” He suggested that the origins of the villains add to their complexity. “If you look at our villains, none of them were born like that,” he said, calling them “victims of circumstance.”
Arad drew particular attention to Venom, lined up to headline his own feature. “Our villains all represent a different side of the misunderstood, and some of them unfortunately turned to the dark side,” Arad said. “Venom happened to be a phenomenal character. With Eddie Brock, or if you do Flash Thompson, it doesn’t matter who is going to be inside the suit — what’s important is that a man like him is going to realise there comes a time when you wake up in the morning and say ‘How did I get here? There must be a better way.’”
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Kirk Cameron Urges Christians To Celebrate Halloween By Sharing The Gospel
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Darling 'Dawson's Creek' Spoof Stars Dachshunds Instead Of Humans
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- Lily Aldridge Says Happy 26th Birthday to Her Partner in Crime Candice Swanepoel
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!
- Kiernan Shipka Is Pretty in Pink at Broadcasting & Cable Hall Of Fame Awards 2014