'Star Trek 3' Beams Up Trio of Writers
J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay are set to tackle the third installment of the franchise alongside Roberto Orci.
J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay have been tapped to write Star Trek 3 for Paramount and Skydance Productions.
The duo will join Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the first two installments of the reboot with partner Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof. Orci is working without Kurtzman on this one.
The next Star Trek film is untitled and unscheduled, but Paramount and Skydance are hoping to have a film in time for the franchise to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016. Stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana are expected to return.
J.J. Abrams will not be helming the movie due to him directing Star Wars: Episode VII, but he will still be involved as a producer.
Star Trek 3 has no director at this stage, although Joe Cornish, who helmed the geek-favorite movie Attack the Block, is high on the wish list.
Payne and McKay already have a relationship with Abrams. The duo wrote the script adapting Boilerplate, the graphic novel by husband-and-wife comics team Paul Guinan and Anina Bennett.
The duo are repped by UTA and Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'