'Star Trek Into Darkness' Super Bowl Spot Pits Kirk Vs. Cumberbatch (Video)
More of Spock inside a volcano and the Enterprise falling from orbit are among the big-game ad's key images.
Star Trek Into Darkness is beaming down to the Super Bowl.
The big-game spot for J.J. Abrams' Trek sequel features a tense exchange between Kirk (Chris Pine) and the villain John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch), who speaks from a cell of some sort, a la Hannibal Lecter.
“I’m better,” a menacing Harrison says.
“At what?” asks a defiant Kirk.
We get an extended look at a previously revealed shot of Spock (Zachary Quinto) inside the heart of a volcano, as well as the U.S.S. Enterprise falling from orbit toward a planet.
“Our world will fall,” reads the trailer’s tagline.
The Paramount film also stars Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and Alice Eve. It’s slated for a May 17 theatrical release and will open two days earlier on IMAX screens. For Trekkies wanting some extras to tide them over until then, the film has released an app, available for download on iPhone and Android phones. Tickets for the early May 15 IMAX screenings can be purchased through the app, which also offers an extended look at the Super Bowl spot.
Watch the spot below.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Charlie Hunnam Speaks Up About 'Sons of Anarchy' Emmy Snubs at FX TCA Panel
- Daniel Radcliffe Premieres 'What If' in Toronto After Closing Out Broadway's 'Cripple of Inishmaan'
- Selena Gomez & Cara Delevingne are Saint-Tropez Bikini Babes!
- LeAnn Rimes & Eddie Cibrian Missed His Kids So Much During Reality Show Promo Trip