'Star Trek Into Darkness' Super Bowl Spot Pits Kirk Vs. Cumberbatch (Video)
More of Spock inside a volcano and the Enterprise falling from orbit are among the big-game ad's key images.
Star Trek Into Darkness is beaming down to the Super Bowl.
The big-game spot for J.J. Abrams' Trek sequel features a tense exchange between Kirk (Chris Pine) and the villain John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch), who speaks from a cell of some sort, a la Hannibal Lecter.
“I’m better,” a menacing Harrison says.
“At what?” asks a defiant Kirk.
We get an extended look at a previously revealed shot of Spock (Zachary Quinto) inside the heart of a volcano, as well as the U.S.S. Enterprise falling from orbit toward a planet.
“Our world will fall,” reads the trailer’s tagline.
The Paramount film also stars Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and Alice Eve. It’s slated for a May 17 theatrical release and will open two days earlier on IMAX screens. For Trekkies wanting some extras to tide them over until then, the film has released an app, available for download on iPhone and Android phones. Tickets for the early May 15 IMAX screenings can be purchased through the app, which also offers an extended look at the Super Bowl spot.
Watch the spot below.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!