'Star Trek Into Darkness' Super Bowl Spot Pits Kirk Vs. Cumberbatch (Video)
More of Spock inside a volcano and the Enterprise falling from orbit are among the big-game ad's key images.
Star Trek Into Darkness is beaming down to the Super Bowl.
The big-game spot for J.J. Abrams' Trek sequel features a tense exchange between Kirk (Chris Pine) and the villain John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch), who speaks from a cell of some sort, a la Hannibal Lecter.
“I’m better,” a menacing Harrison says.
“At what?” asks a defiant Kirk.
We get an extended look at a previously revealed shot of Spock (Zachary Quinto) inside the heart of a volcano, as well as the U.S.S. Enterprise falling from orbit toward a planet.
“Our world will fall,” reads the trailer’s tagline.
The Paramount film also stars Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and Alice Eve. It’s slated for a May 17 theatrical release and will open two days earlier on IMAX screens. For Trekkies wanting some extras to tide them over until then, the film has released an app, available for download on iPhone and Android phones. Tickets for the early May 15 IMAX screenings can be purchased through the app, which also offers an extended look at the Super Bowl spot.
Watch the spot below.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services