'Star Wars': Course of the Force Races to Comic-Con Finish Line (Video)
The charity race from Skywalker Ranch to San Diego concludes with Storm Troopers, Ewoks and one road-weary lightsaber.
Course of the Force went into hyperdrive Tuesday, wrapping up its charity race with Ewoks, Storm Troopers and Wookies running down the California coast from Pacific Beach to San Diego Comic-Con.
The charity relay, which is raising money for the Make-a-Wish Foundation, was accompanied down the coast by the race’s official bus and Jabba’s Sail Barge (which The Hollywood Reporter spotted Friday at the Santa Monica Pier.)
— Mark (@tikimarks) July 17, 2013
— Steve Yago (@Yago604) July 17, 2013
The race, which began July 9 at George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch, included stops at Google headquarters, numerous promotional videos, and a special music video featuring Lando Calrissian himself, Billy Dee Williams.
The music video — a Star Wars take on Jason Schwartzman’s “West Coast” — is set in the famous Cantina from A New Hope and features Schwartzman, Patton Oswalt, Carrie Keagan, Chris Hardwick and Mike Phirman.
Hardwick, one of the race’s organizers, spoke with THR on the set of the music video last month. He said he had the idea after obsessively listening to Schwartzman’s song, and mentioned to a Course of the Force colleague it’d be cool to do a video for it. He promptly put the idea out of his head, but a few weeks later his colleague said Lucasfilm had signed off on it. Soon after they secured Williams and other stars, and Samsung donated money for production. and the entire video was shot on its Galaxy S4 smartphone.
"The cantina set looks amazing. Then when all the creature heads go on, it sort of freaks you out because they look like Star Wars-grade creatures,” said Hardwick, who plays Han Solo in the video. “I think I’m the least authentic thing on the set. I don’t look like Harrison Ford."
Hardwick said Williams “jumped right in” to the shooting.
“Lando is a space pirate. He probably loves a good karaoke bar."
Donations to Make-a-Wish Foundation can be made here.
Watch the music video below.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay