'Star Wars: Episode VII' to Begin Filming in May
The film will be set 30 years after the events of "Return of the Jedi," Disney and Lucasfilm announced Tuesday.
Disney and Lucasfilm's upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII will begin filming in May and will be set 30 years after the events in 1983's Return of the Jedi.
"There will be some very familiar faces along with a trio of new young leads," said Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger during Disney's annual shareholder's meeting in Portland, Ore.
The film, to be directed by J.J. Abrams, is set for release on Dec. 18, 2015. It will shoot primarily in London at Pinewood Studios.
The film has been shrouded in secrecy, but it was recently reported that Adam Driver is in talks to play an undisclosed villain and a slew of names have been reported as in meetings for the three new lead roles.
"Rumor has it that almost every actor in the world has been cast in this movie, but so far, the official castmember that we've confirmed -- the only one -- is R2D2," said Iger on the call.
The Hollywood Reporter recently reported that Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o met with J.J. Abrams only a few weeks ago. Several sources say that Jesse Plemons is one of the actors to beat for one of the roles and that British actors Ed Speleers and John Boyega are also in the mix.