'Star Wars: Episode VII' to Shoot in Abu Dhabi
The J.J. Abrams-led production will very likely be re-creating Tatooine, the desert planet home to Anakin and Luke Skywalker.
Abu Dhabi is likely to be the new Tatooine.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Star Wars: Episode VII will shoot in and around the city-state, which is part of the United Arab Emirates, beginning mid-May. Sources also say it would be a four-week shoot.
Disney had no comment.
The J.J. Abrams-led production is seeking to re-create the desert planet Tatooine, which was the home of Anakin and Luke Skywalker as well as the headquarters of Jabba the Hutt. And let’s not forget that the Jawas and the Tusken Raiders also roamed its wastes and rocky crags.
The desert planet -- also home to podracing and Mos Eisley cantina -- appeared as a location in every Star Wars movie except The Empire Strikes Back. The original Star Wars and subsequent movies created Tatooine in Tunisia. Sources say the political climate in the North African country is currently too dangerous to house a big Hollywood production.
The new movie also will shoot at England's Pinewood Studio. Disney has yet to officially unveil the cast.
Abu Dhabi is becoming a destination for high-profile studio shoots and the move comes after Universal's Fast & Furious 7 crew traveled to the city as the tentpole resumed production in April.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Kirk Cameron Urges Christians To Celebrate Halloween By Sharing The Gospel
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Darling 'Dawson's Creek' Spoof Stars Dachshunds Instead Of Humans
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- Lily Aldridge Says Happy 26th Birthday to Her Partner in Crime Candice Swanepoel
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!
- Kiernan Shipka Is Pretty in Pink at Broadcasting & Cable Hall Of Fame Awards 2014