'Star Wars'-Gotye Mashup Goes Viral (Video)
The sci-fi spoof is Darth Vader's indictment against George Lucas for tinkering with the film series’ legacy.
It's difficult to find something more popular than Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know,” but Star Wars remains one of them. So it’s no surprise that a spot-on mashup of the two has gone viral, amassing more than 1.75 million plays in three days.
“The Star Wars That I Used to Know” painstakingly recreates the original song’s distinctive vocals and (according to Saturday Night Live) creepy video. It also serves as a fan’s indictment against the tinkering George Lucas has done with the series over the years. Anakin Skywalker, and later Darth Vader, act as the voice of the fed-up fan in the video.
The parody pointedly tackles the most recent fan outrage. A Star Wars: Episode IV scene was altered for the Blu-ray edition to show Han Solo (Harrison Ford) shooting the alien Greedo only after first being fired upon. (In the original, Han fired the first shot, which many fans said was important to establishing his roguish character.)
Among the other complaints voiced in the video: a lack of practical effects in the updated versions, “an overuse of graphics,” and Anakin being portrayed by “subpar” actors in the prequels.
The parody’s version of Lucas thinks fans should just get over it, which isn't far from what the real-life Star Wars creator told The Hollywood Reporter in February.
Watch the video below.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch