Disney, Lucasfilm Bringing 'Star Wars' to D23 Expo
UPDATE: Disney's upcoming animated features "Frozen" and "Planes" also will be featured in the Aug. 9-11 event.
Instead of bringing Star Wars to Comic-Con, Disney and Lucasfilm are touting the franchise's anticipated return at the D23 Expo.
Disney's own biannual event, taking place Aug. 9-11 at the Anaheim Convention Center, will feature a strong Star Wars presence, with Disney planning events like Darth Vader: The Evolution of a Villain, showing the development of the bad guy, to Crash Course in the Force: Star Wars Saga 101.
Insiders say, perhaps hope, that some Star Wars actors may make appearances during the D23 Expo, this confirming their participation in the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel trilogy — which is expected to hit theaters in 2015. (Filming is expected to begin in early 2014 in the U.K.) A Disney spokesperson dispelled the rumors as wishful thinking at this point.
Comic-Con, for what it's worth, takes place several weeks earlier in San Diego from July 17-21.
Disney's Frozen (Nov. 27), Planes (Aug. 9) and Marvel's The Avengers will also have a presence in Anaheim.
Borys Kit contributed to this report.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10