'Star Wars': Italian Filmmakers Crowdfunding $150,000 for Fan Film (Video)
The team behind "Dark Resurrection" -- which became an Internet sensation in 2007 -- hopes to complete the series' third and final installment by 2015.
The Force is strong in Italy, where the team behind a Star Wars series of fan films is hoping to complete its Dark Resurrection trilogy. To do so, they are trying to raise $150,000 through the crowdfunding site FansFlock.
It's a tall order, but the series has a sizeable following. The first volume – which was made for roughly $9,500 -- became an Internet sensation when it was released in 2007. A prequel (Vol. 0) followed in 2011.
Now writer-director Angelo Licata hopes to see the final chapter of his story told. The tale takes place several centuries after the events of Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, and centers on one dark Jedi's obsessive quest to find a legendary temple believed to give those who open its seal unimaginable knowledge. True to Star Wars form, there are good guys standing in his way.
Licita says he would like to shoot this year, with an eye to make the film available online in 2015.
"The first challenge is to get higher level production values to make a movie comparable to a Hollywood film," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Anything is possible if you have passion to get to the goal."
Producer and star Fabrizio Rizzolo says the team is ready to scout locations around Italy, and will shoot on location and on actual sets much more than in the previous installments – assuming the funding comes in.
"It's going to be hard work for us, but it's OK," he says. "It's something we must do. Our fans who support us are are main thing that are helping in a lot of ways."
Fans can contribute to the project here. Donations are open until March 7, with rewards such as prop lightsabers up for grabs.
Watch the team's pitch video below, as well as the first volume of Riviera Film's Dark Resurrection in Italian (with English subtitles).
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak
- Rosario Dawson, Luke Evans, & Ashley Madekwe Support amfAR's Important Cause in Milan
- Leonardo DiCaprio Awarded at Global Citizen Awards, Raps 'Scenario' Alongside Jamie Foxx - Watch the Amazing Video!