John Williams Confirmed to Score 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
The composer, who has scored all six of the George Lucas films, will return for the latest chapter in the sci-fi universe.
It's official: the latest chapter of Star Wars will be scored by John Williams.
The composer, who has crafted the score for all six titles in the space opera saga, was confirmed to be joining J.J. Abrams' Episode VII by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy on Saturday at a Star Wars fan event in Essen, Germany.
In April, Abrams had indicated that he wanted the composer to return to score his film, but cautioned that it was still in the "early days." The Star Wars website posted an interview (watch below) where Williams explains how he'll score the latest film.
"Of course, I haven't seen the script," the composer says in the clip. "The story is still unknown to me, the new story. But I can't imagine that there will not be some references to the existing stories that we know that would necessitate, and make appropriate, the use of some of the earlier themes."
The Episode VII script will be penned by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) and is set to hit theaters in 2015, with Episode VIII and IX scheduled in the years after. Original trilogy stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are expected to appear in the film.
In addition, THR reported that Lawrence Kasdan, writer of Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg, who penned X-Men: Days of Future Past, are writing separate spinoff projects set in the Star Wars universe.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!