'Star Wars': Now the Spinoffs Will Matter (Some of Them, Anyway)
The "Star Wars" canon is going to be expanded in the future -- by allowing more than just the movies to count.
Throughout its 30-plus-year existence, the concept of Star Wars canon has been relatively simple: Everything that happens in the movies counts, and everything that happened in any of the spinoff material -- be it games, comic books, novels or television shows -- doesn't. The simple rule has served moviemakers well, but might leave fans thinking that the ancillary material isn't worth their time or money. That might be why, in the future, things will get a little bit more complex.
Leland Chee, who works with Lucasfilm's story group, has been tweeting about changes to the way that Lucasfilm approaches Star Wars canon in the future. "Star Wars Canon is now determined by the Lucasfilm Story Group which [Pablo Hidalgo] and I are both a part of," Chee tweeted on Sunday.
The story group, he explained, "has a hand in all facets of Star Wars storytelling, including movies, TV, games and publishing." When asked what the change meant, he wrote that "a primary goal" was to ensure that there was no hierarchy between the movies and spinoff material, but instead one cohesive canon across the entire franchise, adding that "more so than ever, the canon field will serve us internally simply for classification rather than setting hierarchy."
As to when this new attitude toward Star Wars continuity will be noticeable to fans, Chee declined to answer, but considering the 2015 soft relaunch of the franchise -- between the new movie and comic publishing moving to Marvel -- it would seem like a perfect time for things to start being a little bit more inclusive, wouldn't it?
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- David Lynch Thinks No One Will Ever Agree on What Eraserhead Is About
- Report: 7 More Actresses Are Being Considered for True Detective Lead
- My Father Was James Brown. I Watched Him Beat My Mother. And Then I Found Myself With Someone Like Dad.
- Abbi and Ilana Talk Cereal in This World Premiere of Their Web Series Hack Into Broad City
- Geoff Stults & Colin Egglesfield Go Shirtless at Nautica Triathlon!
- Lady Gaga Celebrates The Late Paul Horn with 'Nature Boy' Tony Bennett Duet - Listen Now!
- Kristen Bell & Husband Dax Shephard Look Perfect Together at 'This Is Where I Leave You' Premiere
- Rihanna Slams CBS For Pulling Her Song From Thursday Night Football Intro