Should Yoda Get His Own 'Star Wars' Movie? (Opinion)
Disney and Lucasfilm are boldly forging ahead with their plans for 'Star Wars,' which will include standalone films centered on, presumably, beloved characters from George Lucas' universe.
Everybody loves Yoda, right?
The sage Jedi Master had been training younglings in the ways of the Force for centuries — including, well, everyone who carries a lightsaber, in particular Mace Windu, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker (whoops) and Luke Skywalker — until he died, crusty and mostly forgotten, in a swampy retirement hut.
In the Star Wars saga, Yoda has been the source of both awe (he lifted Luke’s X-wing from the Dagobah muck WITH THE POWER OF HIS MIND in The Empire Strikes Back!) and awwwww (when he ping-ponged around Christopher Lee’s stunt double, threatening him with the most adorable little lightsaber in Attack of the Clones).
Now, hot on the heels of Disney confirming that they'll be making standalone Star Wars flicks concurrently with Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, Harry Knowles over at Ain’t It Cool News reports that the tiny green giant will be the first Star Wars character to get his own spin-off.
Listen, I was including myself in the “everybody” above: Yoda is a great character. He was the first teacher I ever really liked. But I know everything about Yoda that I want to. I don’t want to know where he was born, nor do I want to know how he got to be the greatest Jedi ever. (Or any of his past romantic entanglements.) In the stories I love, I don’t want every blank filled in. I want to know there is a history, but I don’t need to know every page of it.
When you start looking for answers to questions that nobody asked, you get midichlorians. And we all know how that ended.
Star Wars is an ensemble piece. It is greater than the sum of its parts and, while I could see the virtues of a Han Solo movie or a Lando Calrissian story or The Early Adventures of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Friends Forever!, more Yoda doesn’t equate to more better.
Yoda is a spice that helps flavor the great stew that is Star Wars; he’s not a whole meal.
Unless, of course, a John Williams-ized version of this is the theme:
Follow Heat Vision
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!