Stephen King Announces New Novel 'Revival'
The horror novel about a preacher and a drug-addicted musician will arrive in November six months after the already announced thriller "Mr. Mercedes."
Stephen King is taking a cue from Foreigner this year. He's offering double vision in 2014.
The author announced Revival, a new novel, for publication in November on his website today. It will follow the June release of the previously announced Mr. Mercedes.
Revival is a period piece set in the mid-20th century about faith and addiction. Here's King's full description of the book:
In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs -- including Jamie's mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town. Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of 13, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family's horrific loss. In his mid-thirties -- addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate -- Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil's devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.
A spokesman for publisher Scribner described the novel as in the "heartland" of King's work as opposed to June's Mr. Mercedes (about the hunt for a terrorist bomber), which the author called his first true hard-boiled detective novel.
The double dose of King comes in the midst of a productive stretch for the author. He also released two books in 2013, including the much-anticipated sequel to The Shining -- Dr. Sleep. The CBS adaptation of his 2009 best-seller Under the Dome was a limited summer series hit and a second season is scheduled to debut June 30.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!