'Star Wars: Episode I' 3D Trailer Debuts During Super Bowl (Video)
The commercial, featuring glimpses of Darth Vader and Liam Neeson, teased the film's IMAX re-release on Friday.
Among the Super Bowl's movie ads: Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, which is being re-released in IMAX 3D theaters this Friday.
The 30-second spot -- released by Lucasfilm Ltd. and 20th Century Fox -- barely showed any scenes from Phantom Menace, which hit theaters in 1999 amid disappointment from fans of George Lucas' sci-fi franchise who missed the original blockbusters.
In the clip, you'll see Mark Hamill, Darth Vader, light saber fighting and, from recent Star Wars sequels, an CGI-enhanced Yoda and Liam Neeson, who portrayed good-guy Qui-Gon Jinn in Phantom Menace.
NBC's Super Bowl XLVi also featured trailers from John Carter, The Avengers, Battleship and Act of Valor.
Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic is supervising the 3D conversion of Phantom Menace. If the first in the series is successful at the box office, the remaining five movies would follow a year apart on similar dates. However, depending on how the first release performs, Lucas and Fox could also decide to open the subsequent entries in various spots on the calendar.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR