'Star Wars: Episode I' 3D Trailer Debuts During Super Bowl (Video)
The commercial, featuring glimpses of Darth Vader and Liam Neeson, teased the film's IMAX re-release on Friday.
Among the Super Bowl's movie ads: Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, which is being re-released in IMAX 3D theaters this Friday.
The 30-second spot -- released by Lucasfilm Ltd. and 20th Century Fox -- barely showed any scenes from Phantom Menace, which hit theaters in 1999 amid disappointment from fans of George Lucas' sci-fi franchise who missed the original blockbusters.
In the clip, you'll see Mark Hamill, Darth Vader, light saber fighting and, from recent Star Wars sequels, an CGI-enhanced Yoda and Liam Neeson, who portrayed good-guy Qui-Gon Jinn in Phantom Menace.
NBC's Super Bowl XLVi also featured trailers from John Carter, The Avengers, Battleship and Act of Valor.
Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic is supervising the 3D conversion of Phantom Menace. If the first in the series is successful at the box office, the remaining five movies would follow a year apart on similar dates. However, depending on how the first release performs, Lucas and Fox could also decide to open the subsequent entries in various spots on the calendar.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott