Terrence Howard Accuses Robert Downey Jr. of 'Iron Man' Sabotage
The actor says that Downey Jr. "took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out" of Marvel's superhero franchise.
Sometimes you might wonder, hey, why did Don Cheadle take over the role of James Rhodes in Marvel's Iron Man movies? Someone asked original Rhodey Terrence Howard that very question during his appearance on Bravo's Watch What Happens Live last night, and he responded with an answer that he said was "going to get me into a lot of trouble."
"It turns out that the person that I helped become Iron Man, when it was time to […] re-up for the second one took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out," Howard said. "We did a three-picture deal. So that means, you did the deal ahead of time. It was going to be a certain amount for the first one, a certain amount for the second, certain amount for the third.
He continued, "They came to me [for] the second and said, 'We will pay you one-eighth of what we contractually had for you, because we think the second one will be successful with or without you.' And I called my friend that I helped get the first job, and he didn’t call me back for three months.”
This isn't the first time Howard has complained about his dismissal from the franchise; in an interview earlier this year, he described his replacement in Iron Man 2 as "killing my career."
Amid groans from the audience, Howard was asked how his relationship was with Robert Downey Jr. now. "Oh, I love him," Howard replied deadpan. "God’s gonna bless him." That's what happens when you hang out with Thor, after all.
Follow Heat Vision
- Lea Michele & 'Glee' Cast Sing One Last Time for Family Equality
- Matt Bomer & Sarah Paulson Bring Their Support to Equal Rights Dinner
- Michelle Rodriguez Says Minority Actors Should 'Stop Stealing All the White People's Superheroes'
- Dakota Johnson's Parents Melanie Griffith & Don Johnson Make 'Saturday Night Live' Cameo - Watch All the Skits!