Thanos Teases a 'Luxury,' Says Marvel Studios Prez
Kevin Feige likens teases of the Avengers villain to classic comic book villains' introductions.
The glimpse of Thanos at the end of Marvel's The Avengers may have been the first of many, it seems, with Marvel Studios' president Kevin Feige saying that "it's fun to have the luxury to build somebody up" over a period of time.
Asked by the Huffington Post whether or not Thanos is like the end boss of a video game, Feige responded, "We never thought of it exactly like that, but I'd say that's a fair analogy," before going on to suggest a more Marvel Comics-related comparison.
"You look at some classic story lines in the comics and they tease out characters like that -- big bads like that -- for sometimes years," he continued. "I think Walter Simonson was teasing Surtur for years before he popped up." That's not entirely true. Simonson started teasing the character at the very start of his run in 1983's Thor #337, with the storyline beginning in earnest only eight months later in #345 (and Surtur had actually first appeared twenty years earlier, in Journey Into Mystery #97), but Feige is definitely right about the Mighty Marvel Tradition of teasing the reveals of bad guys for as long as possible.
Of course, none of this gives any more clues as to when we'll see Thanos in his full glory. We already know that his influence will be felt on next year's Guardians of the Galaxy, but if he's an end boss, does this mean that we have to wait until Avengers 3, or could there be another end of level somewhere on the cards that we don't know about …?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!