'Thor' Actor Ray Stevenson to Play Villain in 'G.I. Joe 2: Cobra Strikes' (Exclusive)
The action sequel, to be directed by Jon M. Chu, is slated for release in August 2012. Channing Tatum and Dwayne Johnson star.
Thor actor Ray Stevenson has been cast as villain Firefly in Paramount’s G.I. Joe 2: Cobra Strikes. The action movie, to be directed by Jon M. Chu, begins shooting in Louisiana at the end of summer and is slated for release in August 2012.
Stevenson will appear opposite Channing Tatum and Dwayne Johnson in the film, which is being produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura, and follows G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, a hit in 2009.
Stevenson’s Firefly is a member of the villainous Cobra Organization and is known as a saboteur, ninja master and explosives expert.
Other than Tatum, Cobra Strikes will feature a new cast; in addition to franchise newcomers Johnson and Stevenson, the film will include Adrianne Palicki, Elodie Yung, RZA and D.J. Cotrona.
In this summer’s Thor, which has grossed more than $400 million worldwide, Stevenson played Volstagg, one of the Warriors Three. He will next be seen in Summit’s The Three Musketeers in the role of Porthos. The 3D feature is slated for release on October 21. He is finishing production on Jayne Mansfield’s Car, which is being directed by Billy Bob Thorton and also features Kevin Bacon and Robert Duvall.
Stevenson is represented by WME and Conway Van Gelder Grant in the U.K.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills