Tom Hiddleston to Star in Guillermo del Toro's 'Crimson Peak'
The "Avengers" actor is replacing Benedict Cumberbatch in the thriller.
Tom Hiddleston is replacing Benedict Cumberbatch in Crimson Peak, a gothic film to be directed by Guillermo del Toro.
The thriller, which will also feature Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska and Charlie Hunnam, has set a start date of January 2014 to begin shooting.
Legendary, which covered 75 percent of the budget for del Toro's Pacific Rim, will produce and provide financing, while Universal Pictures will have the option to come on board as a finance partner at a later date.
Cumberbatch exited Crimson Peak in late August. There wasn't a reason given for the departure at the time, although sources told THR that it wasn't due to a conflict with another project.
Hiddleston, who played Loki in The Avengers, is set to appear in November's Marvel sequel Thor: The Dark World. The actor was also cast in Muppets Most Wanted, which has set a March 2014 release date.
He is repped by WME in the U.S.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Game of Thrones' Ladies Make a Stylish Entrance to the Entertainment Weekly Comic-Con Party!
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello 'Couldn't Keep Their Hands Off Each Other' in Miami!
- Vanessa Hudgens To Receive Trendsetter Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014 Tonight
- Anna Camp & Skylar Astin Make One Hot Couple at EW's Comic-Con Party