'Tomb Raider' Reboot Taps 'Iron Man' Writing Duo
Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby have been tapped to write the new Tomb Raider movie project being produced by Graham King and Tim Headington.
King's GK Films acquired feature film rights to the classic video game featuring adventure-loving heroine Lara Croft from Square Enix about two months ago, with the goal of rebooting the action-adventure franchise for a planned 2013 release of the first film.
The hiring of writers shows GK is serious about meeting that goal.
The company is today issuing a statement setting bold aspirations for the franchise, with the writers saying they want to create an "origin story for Lara Croft that solidifies her place alongside Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor in the pantheon of great female action heroes."
No actors have cast in the film. Angelina Jolie memorably played the character in 2001 an 2003 big-screen iterations made by Paramount.
Fergus and Ostby worked on Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men, earning an Oscar nomination in the best adapted screenplay category. They are credited on 2008's Iron Man and worked on Akira, the adaptation of the landmark Japanese animated movie in very active development at Warner Bros. They also were among several writers on this summer's Cowboys & Aliens, starring Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig.
Fergus and Ostby are repped by CAA.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David