Top 15 Grossing Threequels of All Time (Photos)
"Paranormal Activity 3" is the most recent film trilogy edition to make box office bank but it's nowhere nearly as successful as its threequel brethren.
The third time was definitely a charm for Paranormal Activity 3, the latest edition in Paramount's low budget, high-profit horror franchise. The film scared up the best opening of all time for a horror pic with $54 million in domestic grosses over the weekend of Oct. 22.
Paranormal 3 also did sizeable business overseas, where it opened to $26 million for a worldwide total of $80 million --16 times the film's $5 million production budget.
But despite those impressive numbers, Paranormal Activity 3 hasn't even cracked the Top 15 for top-grossing threequels of all time. That list is dominated by big-budget blockbusters from the Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter franchises.
Family and kids' movies also fared well on the list, with Toy Story 3 and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs making their mark.
The most successful threequel of all time? Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which grossed $1,119,241,043 worldwide.
The complete list of Top 15 grossing threequels can be read here.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR