Toronto 2011: Hot Indonesian Action Movie 'The Raid' Sells Out the World (Exclusive)
The film tells the story of a SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster.
In the wake of a rousing Midnight Madness premiere at Toronto, Celluloid Nightmares has sold out all remaining territories for its Indonesian action movie The Raid.
Russia and other Slavic territories, Scandinavia, Benelux, Iceland, and Italy were the European zone deals closed since the screening, which occurred on the opening night of TIFF last week. Deals were also made for all of Latin America and as well as East Asia, Korea and India.
Raid tells the story of a SWAT team that becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster, armed with two highly violent martial arts killers and an army of machete-swinging, machine gun-toting dealers and thugs.
The movie set the tone and bar for this year’s Midnight Madness TIFF sidebar, generating buzz due to its inventive action sequences and the little known (but very cool) Indonesian fighting form called silat.
Gareth Huw Evans wrote and directed the movie and is now being chased by Hollywood agencies and mangers, although he has yet to sign with anyone.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions smartly preemptively picked up the domestic rights to the movie, and other territories were presold by Nate Bolotin and Sarah Gabriel of Celluloid Nightmares.
The movie was produced by PT. Merantau Films and XYZ Films.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)