Trailer Report: 'Transformers,' 'Captain America' Get Super Bowl Boost as 'Fault in Our Stars' Opens Strong
Action movies got a lift from football's big game as the screen adaptation of John Green's beloved teen novel quietly amassed over 10 million views in its first week.
Turns out the citizens of Trailer Land also watch the Super Bowl.
The three coming attractions that debuted during the big game — Transformers: Age of Extinction, Captain America: Winter Soldier and Amazing Spider-Man 2 — all landed in the top 10 despite being online for only the last day of the week's count.
Transformers was tops, recording 9.4 million YouTube views, according to technology company Zefr, which tracks the numbers. The Mark Wahlberg-headlining action flick finished third overall for the week. The fourth movie in the toy-based franchise opens in theaters on June 27.
Captain America: Winter Soldier's second trailer notched 7.0 million views to finish one spot back in the weekly rankings. We love this trailer. Lots of action, a little humor and the Falcon's wings look sooo cool. The star-spangled sequel hits theaters on April 4.
Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailed far behind with just 2.4 million views (despite finishing in the No. 5 slot on the top 10 table). Frankly, we're puzzled by this. The trailer (and the extended "Enemies Unite" clip) was fantastic. Andrew Garfield (and his stunt doubles) really look like Spider-Man — lean and sinewy — and his movement evokes the kinetic energy of Todd McFarlane's great 1990s comics run.
People, go watch this trailer.
Also opening strong was the first trailer for the much-anticipated teenage weepie The Fault in Our Stars, which garnered 10.1 million views to land in the second spot. We were a little nervous here because we love the book so much, but boy, this trailer delivers: Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort look great as Hazel and Augustus and the movie seems to capture both the humor and the sadness of John Green's beloved book.
The first preview for Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West debuted a red band trailer (that means dirty stuff and naughty language in trailer talk) midweek and recorded 2.01 million views to finish in the No. 7 slot.
The most-viewed preview was for Angelina's Jolie's Maleficent, which garnered 11.8 million views in its second week out. It had a slow first week, recording just under 2 million views.
Follow Heat Vision
- Asylum Film Or Children's Book With Tara Reid And Ian Ziering, Stars of 'Sharknado 2'
- Maggie Gyllenhaal Explains How Batman Is Like Pussy Riot
- (VIDEO) Multi-Channel Network Collective Digital Studio Launches New Content for Purina
- Watch #AOLBUILD Live Stream Featuring Aubrey Plaza, Dane Dehaan and @LifeAftrBeth Director Jeff Baena
- Justin Bieber Shares Photo of Orlando Bloom's Ex-Wife Miranda Kerr After Fight Video Surfaces
- Charlie Hunnam Makes Up For Missing Comic-Con in Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Hides Baby Bump in Black Dress at 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Screening
- Elizabeth Banks: 'I'm Very Genetically Blessed, I Cannot Deny It'