Universal Sets Release Date for Ron Howard's 'Rush,' Moves Tom Cruise's 'Oblivion'
Universal has set a release date of Sept. 20, 2013, for the Formula 1 racing movie and also announced 2013 dates for the Cruise-led sci-fi movie and supernatural thriller "Mama."
Universal has set a release date for Ron Howard’s Formula 1 movie Rush, and set 2013 dates for the opening of two other movies, including the Tom Cruise-starring sci-fi movie Oblivion.
Rush, which previously was undated, sees Ron Howard teaming up with Peter Morgan for what is being billed as a “re-creation of the merciless 1970s rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda.” Chris Hemsworth and Olivia Wilde are the headliners.
Cross Creek and Exclusive Media are behind the movie, with Universal only distributing it in North America. The studio has circled Sept. 20, 2013, as the date to unfurl the checkered flag. September is a pretty wide-open month at this stage, with Runner Runner and Paranoia, both of which open Sept. 27, as the only other major releases. (There's also a 3D re-release of The Little Mermaid earlier that month.)
Oblivion, starring Cruise and directed by Joe Kosinski (Tron: Legacy), is moving up a week from April 26 to April 19. It also will have an Imax exclusive April 12. The only competition Oblivion will have on the April 19 date is The Weinstein Co.’s Scary Movie 5.
STORY: Diary of Tom Cruise's Lawyer: 10 Days, 200 Phone Calls and 30 Letters
The supernatural thriller Mama has been given a Jan. 18 date on the 2013 calendar.
Guillermo del Toro is an exec producer, with the film being billed as “Guillermo del Toro Presents.” It stars Game of Thrones actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Jessica Chastain along with a cast of kids who are forced to deal with deadly presence.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Jenny McCarthy Slams Rumor She Criticized Melissa McCarthy's Weight
- Jenny Lewis Doesn't Want To Be An 'Old Little Girl'
- Nicki Minaj Delays 'Anaconda' Release, But Gives Us Another Salacious Instagram Post
- How James Gunn Turned 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Into The Coolest & Weirdest Blockbuster Of 2014