Universal Shifts Release Date of Scarlett Johansson Action Movie 'Lucy'
Luc Besson directed the movie, which was originally slated for an early August opening.
In a late-inning release shuffle, Universal has shifted the opening of this summer’s Luc Besson action movie, Lucy.
The Scarlett Johansson starrer is moving up from Aug. 8 to July 25, 2014.
Reasons for the move were not immediately clear.
The July 25 date is already somewhat crowded. Paramount has Brett Ratner’s Hercules, starring Dwayne Johnson, opening while Columbia has the Cameron Diaz-Jason Segel comedy Sex Tape. Lionsgate has Step Up All In, the latest in the Step Up franchise.
Aug. 8 would have seen Lucy going up against Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has plenty of interest from the younger demographics, potentially the same ones that could go see Lucy. Into the Storm, a tornado disaster movie from New Line poses additional competition. Also opening is the drama The Hundred-Foot Journey, starring Helen Mirren.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Selena Gomez Stuns in Two Totally Different Looks at Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation Gala
- Leonardo DiCaprio Brings Girlfriend Toni Garrn to His Foundation Gala, Raises $25 Million to Protect the Earth!
- Mariah Carey Supports Pal Brett Ratner at 'Hercules' Premiere!
- Gerard Butler Shows Off Chest Hair Touching Down at LAX!