Universal Shifts Release Date of Scarlett Johansson Action Movie 'Lucy'
Luc Besson directed the movie, which was originally slated for an early August opening.
In a late-inning release shuffle, Universal has shifted the opening of this summer’s Luc Besson action movie, Lucy.
The Scarlett Johansson starrer is moving up from Aug. 8 to July 25, 2014.
Reasons for the move were not immediately clear.
The July 25 date is already somewhat crowded. Paramount has Brett Ratner’s Hercules, starring Dwayne Johnson, opening while Columbia has the Cameron Diaz-Jason Segel comedy Sex Tape. Lionsgate has Step Up All In, the latest in the Step Up franchise.
Aug. 8 would have seen Lucy going up against Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has plenty of interest from the younger demographics, potentially the same ones that could go see Lucy. Into the Storm, a tornado disaster movie from New Line poses additional competition. Also opening is the drama The Hundred-Foot Journey, starring Helen Mirren.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'