Universal Sets Release Date for Vin Diesel Sci-Fi Flick 'Riddick'
David Twohy is back in the director's chair for the third installment of the sci-fi action movie series featuring the escaped convict antihero.
Universal will release Riddick, the third installment of the sci-fi action movie series starring Vin Diesel, on Sept. 6.
The movie also will be released on Imax.
Riddick is an escaped-convict antihero whose exploits were first regaled in 2000’s Pitch Black. The movie proved to be a hit, and a sequel -- blown up to tentpole proportions -- ensued with 2004’s The Chronicles of Riddick.
It took several years, but a new movie got underway with the intent to bring the character to his stripped-down roots with a more modest budget. David Twohy has written and directed all three films.
Here is the Riddick logline provided by the studio:
The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he’s encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.
The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won’t leave the planet without Riddick’s head as their trophy.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!