Vin Diesel's 'Riddick' Returns in Moody First Teaser (Video)
The third installment of David Twohy's sci-fi series hits theaters Sept. 6.
Riddick is officially back.
Vin Diesel reprises his role as the escaped-convict antihero in the first teaser for Riddick, which the actor unveiled via Facebook on Friday.
“No matter what happens, no matter what they tell you, don’t let them take them chains off me,” a tied-up Riddick says ominously in the footage, which also includes shots of the character crushing a reptilian creature with his bare hands and throwing a weapon while leaping through the air.
Riddick is Universal’s follow-up to 2000’s Pitch Black and 2004’s big budget The Chronicles of Riddick. The film has a more modest budget than Chronicles and is said to have a more stripped-down look at the character in the spirit of the first film.
Riddick follows Diesel’s character after he’s been left for dead on a planet with harsh conditions. When he discovers a whole host of predators are living there, Riddick uses an emergency beacon to attract the attention of a mercenary ship that has been hunting him, reasoning the ship is his only chance off the planet. Two mercenary ships end up responding, and soon Riddick is fighting both the mercs and the monsters on the alien planet.
Like the first two installments, Riddick comes from writer-director David Twohy. It’s slated to hit traditional and Imax theaters on Sept. 6 and also stars Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica) and Karl Urban (Star Trek).
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- Soon You’ll Have to Ask Taylor Swift Permission to Say ‘This Sick Beat’
- What Should I Watch Until You’re the Worst Comes Back? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Aaron Sorkin’s Steve Jobs Movie Begins Filming With Cast Full of People Who Haven’t Dropped Out Yet
- Chiwetel Ejiofor and Margot Robbie Discuss the Postapocalyptic Z for Zachariah
- Jennifer Lawrence Goes Makeup Free & Natural For Doctor's Appointment
- Bruce Jenner Will Document His 'Journey' on New Docu-Series (Report)
- Amal Clooney Was Asked Fashion Questions While Representing Armenia in Genocide Trial
- Dominos 'Fifty Shades of Grey'-Esque Ad In the Spotlight For It's S&M Content