Wachowski Siblings Introduce Themselves as 'Wachowski Starship'
The joke came at a Fantastic Fest screening of "Cloud Atlas."
Call them the Wachowski Starship.
Andy and Lana Wachowski, the visionary directing duo behind The Matrix Trilogy and the upcoming Cloud Atlas, realize that their old monicker -- the catchy "Wachowski Brothers" -- no longer applies, now that the former Larry Wachowski has successfully transitioned to female.
But "Wachowski Siblings" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
So Andy introduced the pair as "Wachowski Starship" at Tuesday's Fantastic Fest screening of Cloud Atlas at Austin's Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, according to a tweet from Devin Faraci of Badass Digest.
The name references rock band Jefferson Starship, who began as Jefferson Airplane in the 1960s and changed their name after retooling their lineup and sound in the 1970s. The band eventually dropped the "Jefferson" entirely in the 1980s over a legal dispute with the departing Paul Kantner.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive