The Many Ways Hollywood Destroys the White House (Video)
THR pays tribute to the numerous instances in which the presidential residence has been obliterated onscreen.
Supervillains, aliens, X-Men and Mother Nature haven't been kind to the White House in Hollywood movies.
In recognition of the latest cinematic attack on the residence -- under siege by North Korean commandos in Olympus Has Fallen -- The Hollywood Reporter offers a look at a few notable film moments in which the stately decor of the Oval Office has been obliterated.
In Superman 2, villain Non (Jack O'Halloran) marches through the White House with impunity, punching through a pillar or two. Comical green alien invaders zap away at the first lady's (Glenn Close) chandelier in Tim Burton's Mars Attacks!
In the opening sequence of the X2, Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming) manages to evade and disarm teams of Secret Service agents on the way toward the Oval Office. And an entire aircraft carrier is swept onto the manor during a global warming-induced tidal wave in 2012.
Then there's the quick-thinking Secret Service agent (Ja Rule) who helps the president (Leslie Nielsen) find an unorthodox escape route from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Scary Movie 3.
And, in what may be the most iconic decimation of the White House in Hollywood films, an alien force simply destroys the building with one laser beam blast in Independence Day.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!