What is Marvel's 'Registered Gifted'?
Does a mysterious trademark application give a glimpse at a new Marvel project, or a new direction for one we already know about?
Past experience has demonstrated that paying attention to trademark registrations by movie studios and publishers can offer hints at future projects; that was how the X-Force movie was first uncovered, after all. Now, a new -- and somewhat unclear -- trademark registration has been uncovered, pointing to a potential new Marvel project of mysterious nature.
The Bleeding Cool blog reports that, in July 16th, Marvel registered the phrase "Registered Gifted" for multiple uses, including comic books, graphic novels and "printed periodicals in the field of comic book stories and artwork," as well as merchandise including clothing, toys and electronic equipment and, unsurprisingly, "audio and visual recordings."
Phrases or titles that have received the same amount of treatment in the recent past have included Avengers Assemble, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Guardians of the Galaxy and Age of Ultron. But "Registered Gifted" isn't an existing title, or even necessarily linked to an existing title in the same manner as any of those earlier cases. So what is it?
The use of the word "Gifted" brings to mind the X-Men franchise -- which features a "School for Gifted Children," remember -- but in that case, it would surely be Fox, which currently holds the movie rights to the X-Men characters and concepts, that would be registering that particular phrase.
Perhaps we should turn to the "Registered" part, which suggests authority and points to a potential Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tie-in. Will that series have a thread that requires the super-powered community to register their abilities (a la the super-human registration act of the comic book storyline Civil War)? It's certainly possible.
With the D23 expo just two weeks away, it's possible that more information may be on the way sooner rather than later, but given the pyrotechnics seen at Comic-Con last weekend, don't bet on it. Everyone needs a little time to rest and recuperate, after all.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- 'The Flash' Cast Has a Blast at Buzzfeed's Rooftop Flash Bash
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport