Who Is YouTube's #1 Superhero?
As part of its ongoing "Geek Week," YouTube ranks the most popular superheroes on the site in terms of how many times people have searched for them. Bad news, Aquaman.
Any superhero fan who has spent time following the exploits of their favorite characters knows that inter-hero competition is an important part of the genre. Questions like "Could the Thing beat up the Hulk?" and "What if the Justice League and the Avengers fought each other?" have been the basis for stories throughout the years, but now there's a new way in which titans can clash: YouTube rankings.
As part of YouTube's Geek Week, the Google site has compiled a chart of its 10 most searched-for superheroes (or superheroic teams). The results are, on one level, entirely unsurprising -- eight of the top 10 have starred in their own movies in the last few years, and the remaining two are not only rumored to have movies in some process of preproduction, but also have enjoyed their own transmedia successes through the years.
(Curiously absent are the X-Men; Wolverine makes an appearance, but the rest of his team doesn't. Is it a sign that X-Men: First Class has already faded in many people's memories, or that all most people wanted from that team was Hugh Jackman in the first place? You decide.)
Whether or not this simply means that more movie success means more YouTube traffic, or merely that characters like the Flash, Blue Beetle and Nova need better PR, remains to be seen -- at least until YouTube reruns this poll in the wake of next year's Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and we see if they dominate the list.
The rankings were:
- Batman 3,000,000,000 Views, 71,000 Hours of Video
- Thor 2,100,000,000 Views, 66,000 Hours of Video
- Superman 1,700,000,000 Views, 14,000 Hours of Video
- Iron Man 1,400,000000 Views, 20,000 Hours of Video
- The Avengers 1,000,000,000 Views, 31,000 Hours of Video
- Wolverine 540,000,000 Views, 7,800 Hours of Video
- Spider-Man 340,000,000 Views, 7,400 Hours of Video
- Captain America 280,000,000 Views, 4,900 Hours of Video
- Justice League 220,000,000 Views, 3,200 Hours of Video
- Deadpool 200,000,000 Views, 8,900 Hours of Video
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Channing Tatum Joins Rapper Biz Markie For 'Just a Friend' Performance During Comic-Con Panel - Watch Now!
- Salma Hayek Teases Us By Saying She Barely Wears Anything in 'Everly'
- Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz Gives Us Intense 'Bones' Season 10 Trailer - Watch Now
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Are the Hottest Couple in Miami