William Fichtner on 'Freaky' Movie Reboot of 'Ninja Turtles'
The "Prison Break" actor promises a Shredder "unlike any other … before" in next year's Michael Bay-produced big-screen reboot.
William Fichtner has been spilling some beans about next year's big-screen reboot for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and how his character Eric Sachs (although you may know him better as the Shredder) fits into things. "It's not like any Ninja Turtles thing you've seen before," he promised. "It's freaky."
"I play a guy named Eric Sachs, and we find out that Eric Sachs is … somebody else, too," Fichtner told the British website Flicks and the City. "I can't give away too much of the story, but I can tell you that who Shredder is in the telling of this Turtles is unlike any other telling before. His connection to the Turtles is a bit surprising, and really -- for an actor, playing it, the backstory which comes out in this film is really intriguing."
Fichtner is underselling how different this Shredder is from those who've come before. For one thing, the one appearing in the Michael Bay-produced, Jonathan Liebesman-directed movie will be the first caucasian Shredder in the franchise's 30-year history; traditionally, he's been a Japanese warrior called Oroku Saki.
"It's the backstory on how it all began with the Turtles, the character of Eric Sachs," that differentiates this version of the Turtles story, according to Fichtner. He promised that the new Shredder's connection to the pizza-loving mutants will be more integral to the story in the retelling, as well. "It isn't by chance that he knows the Turtles," he teased.
Fichtner predicted that, despite early skepticism about changes made to the mythology from fans, the "tough" new movie will find an audience. Asked about the possibility of a sequel, he said that it would depend on the success of the first installment before adding "Do I think you're gonna see another one? Oh, I think you're gonna see a few of them."
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be released in August 2014.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)