WME Signs 'Babadook' Director Jennifer Kent (Exclusive)
The film premiered at Sundance's Park City at Midnight section and was picked by IFC Midnight.
WME has signed writer-director Jennifer Kent, the filmmaker behind one of Sundance’s critical hits, psychological horror movie The Babadook.
The movie tells of a widowed single mother who tried to deal with her troubled six-year old son who is frightened of monsters, only to discover that his fears are legitimate.
Bababook was the opening movie in Sundance's Park City at Midnight section, received strong reviews and was quickly snapped up for domestic (and Latin American) release by IFC Midnight.
Several agencies pounced on Kent, who took multiple meetings with select agencies before signing with WME. One aspect making her standout is that she is a woman working in the historically male-heavy genre space.
Kent hails from Australia, where she acted in several movies and television series before segueing into work behind the camera. Babadook is her first feature and adapts her short Monster.
Here's the freaky, creepy trailer:
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- We Spent Half An Hour Talking To Allison Janney About 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'
- Here's How 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Really Feels About That Emmy Snub
- 'American Horror Story' Leaked Call Sheet Signals Possible Return Of A Past Character
- New Visions on Romance: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review of I Origins & Mood Indigo
- Not Only is Zoe Saldana Pregnant, But She's Reportedly Expecting Twins!
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, and Daughters Sunday & Faith Join Reba McEntire's 'Pray for Peace' Campaign (Video)
- Shia LaBeouf Arrives for Court, Is Working Out a Plea Deal for His Recent Arrest Charges
- Kelsey Grammer & Wife Kayte Welcome Newborn Son Gabriel!