'Wolverine' Sequel in the Works With James Mangold
UPDATED: The Hugh Jackman starrer is the second-biggest X-Men title ever, quietly grossing more than $413 million worldwide.
Released this summer, The Wolverine has become the second-most-successful X-Men film at the worldwide box office, prompting Fox and director James Mangold to set a course for another installment.
The studio is in talks with Mangold to write a treatment for the film, which would see Hugh Jackman return to play the title role, according to insiders. The storyline is being kept under wraps. Lauren Shuler Donner will produce.
Wolverine ended its North American run weeks ago and boasts total domestic ticket sales of $132.4 million. Overseas, it has continued to roll out, grossing nearly $283 million, a franchise best.
Over the weekend, thanks to a strong showing in China, it surpassed the $405.8 million grossed globally by X2: X-Men United. Wolverine's total China take is $37.5 million.
Wolverine's notable success overseas comes as Paul Hanneman and Tomas Jegeus take over Fox's worldwide marketing and distribution operations (they previously served as co-presidents of international) in a move to shore up the studio's domestic marketing operation.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Greg Scarnici Recreates Iconic Madonna 'Sex' Book As 'Sex In Drag'
- 'Na Maloom Afraad': Revival of Pakistani Cinema in Progress
- Sister Cristina Scuccia, The Singing Nun, Releases 'Like A Virgin' Cover (Without The Naughty Bits)
- Maitland Ward's Sheer Dress Is The Sheerest of All Sheer Dresses And NSFW
- Analeigh Tipton & Jake McDorman Make Their Own 'Manhattan Love Story' (Exclusive Video!)
- Matthew McConaughey Wishes the Washington Redskins Wouldn't Change Their Name
- Jennifer Lawrence Introduces Honoree Elizabeth Banks at Elle Women in Hollywood (Video)
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Makes First Offical Appearance Since Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum - See The Pics Here!