'Wolverine' Sequel in the Works With James Mangold
UPDATED: The Hugh Jackman starrer is the second-biggest X-Men title ever, quietly grossing more than $413 million worldwide.
Released this summer, The Wolverine has become the second-most-successful X-Men film at the worldwide box office, prompting Fox and director James Mangold to set a course for another installment.
The studio is in talks with Mangold to write a treatment for the film, which would see Hugh Jackman return to play the title role, according to insiders. The storyline is being kept under wraps. Lauren Shuler Donner will produce.
Wolverine ended its North American run weeks ago and boasts total domestic ticket sales of $132.4 million. Overseas, it has continued to roll out, grossing nearly $283 million, a franchise best.
Over the weekend, thanks to a strong showing in China, it surpassed the $405.8 million grossed globally by X2: X-Men United. Wolverine's total China take is $37.5 million.
Wolverine's notable success overseas comes as Paul Hanneman and Tomas Jegeus take over Fox's worldwide marketing and distribution operations (they previously served as co-presidents of international) in a move to shore up the studio's domestic marketing operation.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
Follow Heat Vision
- 'OITNB' Set To The 'Golden Girls' Theme Thanks Refreshingly Diverse Prisoners For Being A Friend
- Kutiman's Incredible YouTube Musician Mashup Is Better Than The Sum Of Its Parts
- 'No Good Deed' Invades Box Office, 'Dolphin Tale 2' Coasts Into Second Place
- Police Allegedly Mistake Black Actress Kissing White Partner For A Prostitute
- Rita Ora's Top Knot Turns Into Fringe At Marchesa Fashion Show in London
- Jamie Dornan Steps Out to Support 'Fifty Shades' Director Sam Taylor-Johnson at Photographic Art Exhibit
- Justin Bieber Gets Shirtless at the Pool Before Supporting Floyd Mayweather!
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts Handcuffed for Kissing White Husband Brian James Lucas?