'Wolverine' Sequel in the Works With James Mangold
UPDATED: The Hugh Jackman starrer is the second-biggest X-Men title ever, quietly grossing more than $413 million worldwide.
Released this summer, The Wolverine has become the second-most-successful X-Men film at the worldwide box office, prompting Fox and director James Mangold to set a course for another installment.
The studio is in talks with Mangold to write a treatment for the film, which would see Hugh Jackman return to play the title role, according to insiders. The storyline is being kept under wraps. Lauren Shuler Donner will produce.
Wolverine ended its North American run weeks ago and boasts total domestic ticket sales of $132.4 million. Overseas, it has continued to roll out, grossing nearly $283 million, a franchise best.
Over the weekend, thanks to a strong showing in China, it surpassed the $405.8 million grossed globally by X2: X-Men United. Wolverine's total China take is $37.5 million.
Wolverine's notable success overseas comes as Paul Hanneman and Tomas Jegeus take over Fox's worldwide marketing and distribution operations (they previously served as co-presidents of international) in a move to shore up the studio's domestic marketing operation.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Lana Del Rey Tells Complex She Has 'Slept With A Lot Of Guys In The Industry'
- Jon Stewart Wants You To Help Him Buy CNN
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson And Jimmy Fallon Were Failed Fitness Instructors Once
- From "Eve Of Destruction" to "Already Gone": Conversations with Jack Tempchin and P.F. Sloan, Plus a Godsmack Track