'Wolverine' Sequel in the Works With James Mangold
UPDATED: The Hugh Jackman starrer is the second-biggest X-Men title ever, quietly grossing more than $413 million worldwide.
Released this summer, The Wolverine has become the second-most-successful X-Men film at the worldwide box office, prompting Fox and director James Mangold to set a course for another installment.
The studio is in talks with Mangold to write a treatment for the film, which would see Hugh Jackman return to play the title role, according to insiders. The storyline is being kept under wraps. Lauren Shuler Donner will produce.
Wolverine ended its North American run weeks ago and boasts total domestic ticket sales of $132.4 million. Overseas, it has continued to roll out, grossing nearly $283 million, a franchise best.
Over the weekend, thanks to a strong showing in China, it surpassed the $405.8 million grossed globally by X2: X-Men United. Wolverine's total China take is $37.5 million.
Wolverine's notable success overseas comes as Paul Hanneman and Tomas Jegeus take over Fox's worldwide marketing and distribution operations (they previously served as co-presidents of international) in a move to shore up the studio's domestic marketing operation.
Follow Heat Vision
- Kate Mulgrew Reacts To Her First Emmy Nomination, Teases 'OITNB' Season 3
- David Rees Is About To Teach You Everything You Thought You Already Knew
- Ellen DeGeneres Perfectly Captured Your Feelings About Ryan Gosling's Baby
- When 'True Blood' Actor Joe Manganiello Goes On A Spoiler-Filled Tirade, No Show Is Safe
- Liev Schreiber Suits Up for 'Ray Donovan' Season 2 Premiere, Naomi Watts Works It Out in Brentwood!
- Diane Kruger Previews a 'Darker' Season for 'The Bridge'
- Reese Witherspoon Portrays a Heroin Addict Who Embarks on a Journey in 'Wild' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Garrett Hedlund Dishes on Working with Brad Pitt & How He Helped Him as an Actor!