WonderCon Moving to Anaheim
The growing spring convention traditionally held in San Francisco is being forced to relocate for a year because of building renovations.
WonderCon is moving to Anaheim.
Comic-Con International, the organization behind Comic-Con, WonderCon and other comic conventions, announced today the growing spring convention WonderCon will make the move from San Francisco to Anaheim, and be held March 16-18
Rumblings on comic sites whispered the move in the week after Comic-Con when it was revealed that San Francisco’s Moscone Center, WonderCon’s traditional venue, would be undergoing renovations in early 2012.
That put the convention, which hit a record attendance of 49,000 this year, in a quandary: postpone the show a year and lose valuable momentum, or find a new venue. And CCI did look at venues in Los Angeles and other cities in California before picking Anaheim, which recently held the second installment of Disney’s Comic-Con-like convention, D23 Expo.
“It certainly was not our wish to move,” said CCI’s director of marketing David Glanzer in a statement. “However, when faced with the prospect of canceling the show for a year or moving locations, after careful consideration we decided to keep WonderCon on the 2012 calendar at a venue that could accommodate our needs.”
The move is having some ripple effects with other conventions, who moved to accommodate the WonderCon movie. According to CCI, “ReedPop’s C2E2, which has been waiting to announce dates for its own show in March 2012, will now seek alternative dates while Wizard World has announced that it will postpone its April 2012 Anaheim show.”
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- The Fantastic Four Movie Seems Really Good All of a Sudden
- Vacation’s Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo to Reunite for a Pilot With a Very Silly Name
- Frozen Duo Writing a Song for Neil Patrick Harris to Sing at the Oscars
- Sundance: Watch Robert Redford and Nick Nolte Get Ready to Hike in A Walk in the Woods
- Behati Prinsloo, Karlie Kloss & the Angels Star in Victoria's Secret Super Bowl 2015 Commercial - Watch Now!
- Mandy Moore Hinted at the Ryan Adams Split Before News Broke
- Tom Cruise Allegedly Wiretapped Nicole Kidman's Phone & More Revelations From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- Former Hollywood Executive Cindra Ladd Accuses Bill Cosby of Rape in Powerful Essay