Zachary Quinto Says Third 'Star Trek' Will Be Shooting Within 6 Months

Boldly going may begin again by spring 2015
Courtesy of NBC

The final frontier may be moving a little bit closer.

Appearing on NBC’s Today show, Zachary Quinto revealed that shooting for the third in the current Star Trek movie series may begin soon.

“I think it’s on the horizon,” Quinto said, adding that “things are rumbling, so I have a feeling that we will be in production sometime in the next six months.”

The third in the series will be the first without J.J. Abrams, who is busy with Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: Episode VII. It’s expected that Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the first two movies with Alex Kurtzman and this third with Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, will step in as director on this installment, although Paramount has yet to officially comment on the matter (Last month, however, Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the series, seemingly confirmed the news during an interview with the BBC).

Orci confirmed with fan site TrekMovie that the first draft of the screenplay was finished in mid-August, and had previously stated that the movie will feature the characters “closer… to the original [television] series characters than you have ever seen,” with the crew of the Starship Enterprise finally out on their first five-year mission into deep space.

With production potentially starting by spring 2015, it would appear that the as-yet untitled Star Trek 3 is on target for release in time for the franchise’s 50th anniversary (the show debuted on Sept. 8, 1966).

comments powered by Disqus