Zack Snyder Shoots Down Report He's Developing 'Star Wars' Film
The "Man of Steel" filmmaker is not prepping a "Seven Samurai"-style "Star Wars" offshoot, his rep tells THR.
Director Zack Snyder has come forward to deny a report claiming he's journeying to a galaxy far, far away.
New York magazine's Vulture blog reported Monday that Snyder, the director behind 300, Watchmen and the upcoming Man of Steel, is developing a Star Wars movie. According to the site, the feature would not be part of the planned numbered trilogy but would be an offshoot tonally in the vein of the Japanese classic The Seven Samurai.
But in an exclusive statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Snyder's spokesperson says: "While he is super-flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia.”
That means no Episode VII, VIII or IX and no offshoot movies, the rep confirms.
The idea of Snyder tackling a Star Wars project isn’t far-fetched. Lucasfilm is on the hunt for a filmmaker or two to tackle the final trilogy, which is in the process of being written by Michael Arndt. Directors ranging from J.J. Abrams to Jon Favreau to Matthew Vaughan have surfaced as possible (or dream) contenders.
And as THR previously revealed, the company is developing movies that would expand the Star Wars universe in offshoot one-shots or trilogies. Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote 1980's The Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg, a veteran of X-Men: First Class, are two writers penning stories that veer off the numbered movies.
Snyder, whose Cruel and Unusual Films is based at Warner Bros., already is busy with his own projects. In active development on his slate is the war drama The Last Photograph.
Health & Hollywood
Follow Heat Vision
- Bill Hader Thinks Recent 'SNL' Fan-Voted Bracket Needed More Women
- Grover And Abby Cadabby From 'Sesame Street' Really Love Michelle Obama's Hugs
- Toddler Takes The Lead In Choreographing Interpretive Dance For Adults
- Alison Bechdel Awarded MacArthur Fellowship: 'Fun Home' Creator One Of 21 New Fellows
- Adam Arkin on The Bridge, Directing Himself, and Getting Mistaken for George Clooney
- Get a Glimpse of the Hannibal Writers’ Room in This Clip From the Season 2 DVD
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- An In Depth Joan Rivers Biography is In the Works
- Taylor Schilling & 'OITNB' Cast Brighten Up the Red Carpet at Netflix Launch in Berlin!
- Avril Lavigne & Chad Kroeger's Relationship Reportedly in Trouble: 'They've Been Fighting A Lot'
- Ellen Page Wears Nearly Nothing & Flashes Her Amazing Abs for W's New Royals Issue