'Zombie Prom' Scribe Hired To Pen Teenage Publishing Sensation Beth Reekles' 'The Kissing Booth'
The teen rom com will be adapted for the big screen by Vince Marcello for British film and tv banner Komixx Entertainment with the backing of Random House Children's Screen Entertainment.
LONDON – U.K. based production and sales banner Komixx Entertainment has signed Vince Marcello to pen the film adaptation of teen novel The Kissing Booth by teenage publishing sensation Beth Reekles.
Set in the U.S., The Kissing Booth centers on never-been-kissed Rochelle Evans, who comes face to face with her secret crush at a kissing booth. It charts the ups and downs of infatuation, as Rochelle is swept up in the aura of the hottest boy in school.
Reekles first came to prominence in 2012 when she began uploading her debut novel onto the online community Wattpad.
The manuscript racked up 19 million hits worldwide sparking a worldwide search for the girl who many presumed to be an American adult.
Random House discovered the teen in her childhood home in Wales, England and offered her a three-book deal.
Recently published in the U.S., Reekles has been listed in Time Magazine as one of the most influential teenagers in the world.
The Kissing Boothhas been developed by Random House Children’s Screen Entertainment (RHCSE), the jointly owned company of Random House and Komixx Entertainment.
Marcello’s resume boasts Zombie Prom, Teen Beach Movie and McKeena Shoots for the Stars.
Komixx Entertainment joint president and head of film and TV Andrew Cole-Bulgin said: "We knew from our first meeting that Vince had the vision and energy to create a screenplay that would have huge appeal to the Teen audience. Like John Hughes did with Ferris Bueller and Pretty in Pink, Vince tests the boundaries of growing up and can perfectly capture the voice of a generation."
Marcello said: "As I read Beth’s novel, I began to envision a new and exciting way to re-tell this classic story. Every generation has a film like this – Grease, Sixteen Candles, Clueless and I believe The Kissing Booth can be this generation’s version of these classic movies."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch