'American Idol': 5 Reasons Why the Finale Should Move to New York City
As the LA-based singing show mulls a locale change, THR highlights the attractive motivations that come with transporting season 13's nail-biting finish to the East Coast.
With less than a week before the Jan. 15 premiere of American Idol, rumors are swirling that the show's finale week could be making a big move to the Big Apple.
Whether the show will in fact leave the cozy TV-ready confines of Los Angeles' Nokia Theatre for the New York City is uncertain at this point, but there is one thing we do know: the leap would be a great way to up the finale game in season 13.
Here are 5 reasons why:
1. Idol and Broadway intersect. With so many Idol alums taking residency on the Great White Way -- everyone from season three winner Fantasia Barrino to season two runner-up Clay Aiken, Idol power couple Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo and many more -- the possibilities for fun, pre-produced segments are endless. Not to mention the show could use the opportunity to boast some of its great Broadway success stories, while presenting entertaining numbers in homage to the great musicals. With that in mind, what's a Fox finale without an appearance by Lea Michele? Let's bring the Glee star to her Broadway roots!
2. New stage, new energy. Imagine the emotional terrain that can be mined via an appearance on a famous stage like that of the Apollo, where so many true stars were born, or at Radio City Music Hall. Making a move to the East Coast will not only provide a whole new story line, but its proximity will give Idol fans from another segment of the country an opportunity to view their favorite show up close. An added bonus: East Coast-based Idols -- we’re looking at you Constantine Maroulis, Erika Van Pelt, Siobhan Magnus, Justin Guarini, Anwar Robinson, etc. -- can make finale appearances with greater ease.
3. One-up The Voice and X Factor: Here's a thought, Idol -- use your trailblazing cachet to to throw down the gauntlet for other shows like The Voice, and The X Factor and bring the contest to the mean streets of NYC. What better way for future Idols to prove their mettle? As the song goes: "In New York / Concrete jungle where dreams are made / There's nothing you can't do."
4. Publicity ease: This is us worrying about the always overworked, dedicated PR team at Idol, Inc. It would be so much easier on the winner and the Fox show's crew to do post-finale press -- morning- and late-night TV -- in New York, seeing as Good Morning America, The Today Show, Late Show With David Letterman and now The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon are based there. A winner could wake up in the same city and be shuttled right over to the studios at a more sane hour. Sleep, glorious sleep!
5. Two words: Howard Stern. Lest we forget that FremantleMedia, which produces Idol, also counts America’s Got Talent on its program slate, Nothing would be better -- or more laugh-out-loud entertaining -- than to hear AGT judge Howard Stern's take on Idol invading his hometown. And then, perhaps, a surprise appearance on the season 13 finale? One can dream...
What do you think: Should Idol make the switch? Hit us up in the comments below.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Empire State Building Pays Tribute To Endangered Animals, Remembers Cecil The Lion
- 'Friday Night Lights' Coach Is Back With A Helpful Pep Talk
- A Fair Way to Choose Candidates for Republican Debate: Learning From the Oscars
- Candace Cameron Bure Shares Adorable Snap Of Kimmy, DJ And Stephanie On Set Of 'Fuller House'
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Mitt Romney Is Going to Be Pissed If There Are No Pancakes on Stephen Colbert's Late Show
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Killer Bikini Body in New Selfie
- Christina Applegate Answers Question About 80s Breakup With Brad Pitt (Video)