'American Idol': Jimmy Iovine Recruits Akon as Guest Mentor
The remaining seven finalists will perform songs from "This Decade" on Wednesday.
We've said it before, and we'll say it again: Jimmy Iovine has more celebrity connections than Simon Cowell.
This week, the tough-yet-fair American Idol mentor and Interscope chief recruits singer Akon to help him guide the latest crop of finalists. Recent celebrity mentors include Stevie Nicks (she crushed on Phillip Phillips), Gwen Stefani (she critiqued DeAndre Brackensick's "worried" facial expressions) and Diddy (he was not a fan of Heejun Han's deadpan humor).
Akon, whose hits include "Smack That" and "I Wanna Love You," previously graced the Idol stage as a celebrity performer.
And speaking of performances, the top seven from season 11 will sing songs from "This Decade," aka 2010, 2011 and 2012, show producer Nigel Lythgoe announced via Twitter.
Perhaps, then, song choice selection might be easier than normal. Recall "Billy Joel Week," when Joshua Ledet claimed to not know who the music legend was; his rendition of "She's Got a Way" was fairly shaky.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Do I Really Need to Watch Empire? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- The New Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer Finally Shows Paul Bettany’s Vision
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Recap: Trippin’ in Amsterdam
- Self/less Trailer: Imagine You Looked Like Ben Kingsley But Then Got to Look Like Ryan Reynolds
- Daniel von Bargen Dead - 'Seinfeld' Actor Dies at 64 From Undisclosed Illness
- Courteney Cox Calls Ed Sheeran 'Amazing' For BRIT Awards 2015 Performance
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Final Trailer Released - Watch Now!
- Scott Eastwood Goes Shirtless, Spoofs the 'Bachelor' in 'Bachelor for Dogs' Video - Watch Now!