'American Idol' Alum Katharine McPhee Pledges $50K for Hurricane Sandy Victims
The season five runner-up and star of NBC's "Smash" will match charitable contributions to the Salvation Army dollar-for-dollar.
American Idol season five runner-up Katharine McPhee is the latest alum of the Fox show offering aid to victims of Hurricane Sandy.
McPhee joined talk show host Geraldo Rivera during a live broadcast at a Salvation Army Post in Long Island on Monday to announce her intentions through her charitable organization, McPhee Outreach. McPhee pledged to match every donation dollar-for-dollar up to $50,000. McPhee is hoping to reach a goal of $100,000, she said.
“I was looking for the organization on the ground that was doing the most to help Hurricane Sandy victims and I found that to be the Salvation Army," the star of Smash said.
Rivera praised McPhee, who took time out from filming her NBC show, for her efforts.
“There is no one who does more with less than the Salvation Army. I’m hoping that my listeners and sponsors will step up and match the McPhee Outreach’s grant to raise more than $100,000 to help people rebuild their lives in the wake of this weather disaster," he said.
Other Idol alums reaching out to the storm-ravaged area include season four winner Carrie Underwood, who donated the proceeds from her Atlantic City concert at Boardwalk Hall to the community, and season 11 champion Phillip Phillips, who will perform a live Stageit.com concert benefitting the American Red Cross on Nov. 15 from Staten Island with the choir of PS22.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet
- Evangeline Lilly Gets Candid About Lost, Writing, and Comic-Book Breasts