'American Idol' Alum Kristy Lee Cook Debuts Duet with Randy Houser (Exclusive Audio)
Says the season seven finalist and country singer of "Wherever Love Goes," her new single: "It's a powerful song."
Kristy Lee Cook’s new single, a duet with Mississippi-born country star Randy Houser, just arrived at radio stations, but Idol Worship readers can hear the song now.
“Wherever Love Goes” is a power ballad and the follow-up to “Airborne Ranger Infantry,” Cook’s debut single for her new label, Broken Bow. Houser, who records for Broken Bow’s sister label, Stoney Creek, had a No. 1 hit on the Billboard country charts last year with “How Country Feels” and is currently in the top five with “Runnin’ Outta Moonlight.”
“Wherever Love Goes,” written by Neil Thrasher, Paul Jenkins and Jason Sellers, was originally cut for Houser’s current album, also titled How Country Feels. “We recorded the song in Derek George's house studio. He is Randy's producer and the sound in there was really good,” says season seven alum Cook.
Not all duets are recorded with both artists present in the studio, but for this original version of the song, Cook and Houser were in the studio at the same time. “We recorded the chorus together,” Cook explains. “We sang one at a time and knocked it out.”
Then, Broken Bow president Benny Brown and his team wanted the song to be Cook’s new single. She went back into the studio to do some more recording. “We made it more 'my song' so we re-recorded the verses and switched them around. Randy is such an amazing singer -- he can sing circles around most men in Nashville! He's a great guy and has such a great family. I'm so thankful to be able to have this song as my single."
Asked what the song means to her. Cook said, “It means a lot. ... It was Benny’s favorite song, and when he believes in a song, you have to trust his instinct because he knows what he's doing. It's also a powerful song. I can picture it being played at a ton of weddings. I can't wait to see what it does in the future and I'm so excited to be singing it with such a great artist.”
Cook also confirmed that she's still working on her album for Broken Bow. "I have recorded two other tracks. I was also just informed I get to record one I wrote with a good friend of mine -- Bridgette Tatum, who wrote ‘She's Country’ for Jason Aldean. The song is very different and suits me to a T. So I am very pumped about that. ... It's really fun being able to help pick songs for the album because you always end up recording the songs that suit you as a person.”
Listen to "Wherever Love Goes" below:
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- We Spent Half An Hour Talking To Allison Janney About 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'
- Here's How 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Really Feels About That Emmy Snub
- 'American Horror Story' Leaked Call Sheet Signals Possible Return Of A Past Character
- New Visions on Romance: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review of I Origins & Mood Indigo
- Not Only is Zoe Saldana Pregnant, But She's Reportedly Expecting Twins!
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, and Daughters Sunday & Faith Join Reba McEntire's 'Pray for Peace' Campaign (Video)
- Shia LaBeouf Arrives for Court, Is Working Out a Plea Deal for His Recent Arrest Charges
- Kelsey Grammer & Wife Kayte Welcome Newborn Son Gabriel!