'American Idol's' Kimberley Locke, Scott MacIntyre, Michael Orland To Mentor Singers at Camp in the Caribbean
"Audition Star" will be held June 25 to 29 at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas and also feature "Idol" vocal coach Peisha McPhee and stylist Miles Siggins.
When they competed on American Idol, season 2's Kimberley Locke and season 8’s Scott MacIntyre were mentored by some of the top people in the music industry. Now, life comes full circle as the pair of top 10 finalists become mentors themselves, joining a team of Idol insiders to coach the next generation of talented singers at “Audition Star,” a summer camp to be held June 25 through 29 at Atlantis, Paradise Island, the popular resort in the Bahamas.
Locke and MacIntyre will join three Idol production staffers -- vocal coach Peisha McPhee, associate musical director Michael Orland and stylist Miles Siggins -- at the summer camp designed to teach young singers how to ace an audition, choose the right song, identify their style, build confidence and learn other important tools that will enhance their performance.
"When I auditioned for American Idol, the show was only a year old,” says Locke, who recently released a dance-oriented EP, Four for the Floor. “I really didn't know what I was getting into! Now, here we are 10 years later, giving a summer camp on how to have a strong audition. Who better to team up with than Michael Orland himself. He has been with the show since year one and has seen what works and what doesn't. This camp will be a valuable week for aspiring singers who want to audition for the many talent shows that are modeled after Idol."
“The participants will be learning from the best,” says Fred Bronson, a THR contributor who will facilitate all of the sessions at the five-day summer camp. Bronson has been covering Idol since season two, and has appeared on the show four times for his musical expertise. “Campers will be coached by Michael and Peisha, who will also rehearse with them and put them through vocal exercises," he says. "They’ll learn about style and discuss their own wardrobe with Miles and they’ll get personal advice from Kimberley and Scott, who will share their ‘Idol’ journeys and what they learned from their time on the series.”
"In all of the years Idol and shows like it have been on the air, no one has ever been offered an opportunity like this,” says MacIntyre, who has authored an autobiography, By Faith, Not By Sight, published last month by Thomas Nelson. “We want to help prepare up-and-coming talent to successfully audition for the world's biggest reality shows. When you know the inner workings of a reality TV singing competition, you have a leg up going in.”
“This workshop is for anyone from 14 to 28 who wants to audition for shows like American Idol, The Voice, The X Factor, America’s Got Talent or any of the new shows like Duets and The Star Next Door scheduled for this year and next by the broadcasting and cable networks,” says Bronson. “It’s also for those who simply want to audition for singing roles on stage or in film. We’re going to limit the number of participants so that everyone can get individual attention, so it will be first come, first serve.”
All participants will perform in a show in the Atlantis Theater on the final night of the summer camp. A top 10 will be chosen based on auditions for the mentors, and one participant will be chosen as the winner, receiving a prize package that includes individual coaching sessions with Orland and McPhee, as well as a shopping spree with Siggins and dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. The lucky winner will also receive a surprise invitation from Orland and McPhee.
For more information and a detailed schedule, visit the Atlantis website.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- The 2016 BET Awards Red Carpet Was Full Of Slayage
- Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar Open BET Awards With Unforgettable Performance
- Chris Mann Debuts New Video: "To The Moon and Back"
- STILL GROOL! MEAN GIRLS Heartthrob JONATHAN BENNETT Talks Being The Host With The Most On CAKE WARS And CUPCAKE WARS, His Favorite MEAN GIRLS Quote, And Dealing With MEAN GIRL Cyber Bullies!
- Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar Surprise The BET Awards with a Performance of 'Freedom'
- Salutations and Greetings to Nick Kroll and John Mulaney, Who Are Going to Star in Oh, Hello on Broadway
- Anna Kendrick Is in 6 Movies This Year and She’s Not Totally Sure Why
- Join Vulture’s Game of Thrones Season 6 Finale Liveblog
- Alicia Keys' BET Awards 2016 Performance Video - Watch Now
- Jennifer Hudson Pays Tribute to Prince at BET Awards 2016 with Tori Kelly & Stevie Wonder (Video)
- Jesse Williams Is the Humanitarian Winner at BET Awards 2016
- Tracee Ellis Ross & Anthony Anderson Spoof 'Hamilton' at BET Awards 2016 - Watch Now!