'American Idol's' Brooke White on Feeling 'Lost' as a Solo Singer (Video)
The season 7 finalist, who recently announced she was pregnant with her first child, talks about benching her solo career to form the duo Jack and White.
Being a solo artist “was becoming a lonely operation for me,” Brooke White confides to the Hollywood Reporter. "This was the easiest, happiest transition that could have happened for me." The American Idol season seven finalist is referring to her musical partnership with Jack Matranga, the man who started off as a songwriting collaborator for her next album and turned into the other half of the duo Jack and White, but you could easily apply the sentiment to other momentous events in her life: like the fact that she's expecting her first child, a girl, in May.
Music was always White's first love, a passion evident in every one of her Idol performances, from Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" to the Beatles' "Let It Be," but she put plans for a new solo album on hold to work with Matranga. Jack and White's EP, Gemini (their mutual birth sign), was released during the summer and contains the first song they wrote together, “Feathers.” A second EP is planned for a 2012 release.
In a revealing talk with Idol Worship contributor Fred Bronson, the two halves of Jack and White explain how they met and turned their plan to be co-writers into something else. Asked to name their favorite male-female duo of all time, Jack and White make the same choice -- not Sonny and Cher, not Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, and not She and Him. Watch the interview to hear their pick, which makes perfect sense given their musical inspirations, and check out the clip below for White's latest thoughts on Idol and the season 7 alums she keeps up with.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- After a Turbulent Exit, the Game-Changing Founder of Vertigo Has Returned to Comics
- Scientology Predictably Not a Fan of the South Park Billboard Right Outside Its Headquarters
- Bruce Springsteen’s Memoir Beautifully Picks Apart His Own Masculinity
- The Latest Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Trailer Has a Whole Lot More Action, and Beasts
- Tom Hiddleston Wears Leather, Jumpsuits, & More for Sexy 'Interview' Magazine Cover Shoot
- Tokio Hotel's Tom Kaulitz Files For Divorce From Wife Ria Sommerfeld After 1 Year of Marriage
- Stranger Things' Gaten Matarazzo Discusses His Rare Genetic Disorder: 'I Need a Lot of Surgery'
- Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'We Found Love' is Diamond Certified!