'American Idol': Nigel Lythgoe Proposes Charlie Sheen, Jerry Lewis for Season 12 Judges (Report)
Relax, guys. This has got to be a joke.
File Under: "Is this a joke?"
Also: "Too ridiculous to be true."
We refer to a new report, via TMZ, that American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe has his sights set on Charlie Sheen and Jerry Lewis to join the judges' table next season.
Neither is a singer or expert in the music industry; even TMZ, citing Lythgoe, thinks he's joking. The website reports that the Idol camp is reaching out to potential judges in an effort to line up some options in the event of a series shakeup. At the moment, the Fox competition's trio of panelists -- Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson -- have not yet signed on for the 12th installment. That extends to Lythgoe as well.
Back in May, Lopez caused a stir when reports surfaced that she might be leaving Idol after a two-year run, saying on The Ellen DeGeneres Show: "I don't know if I can go for a third year. I miss doing other things."
(That's what she said after season 10 ended, too. Then she scored a salary promotion somewhere in the ballpark of $20 million.)
Meanwhile, Adam Lambert is one of the boldfaced names/judge candidates allegedly being courted by Idol. In a statement to THR on Monday, Lambert said: "Idol has an amazing history of introducing great musical talent, and I was very fortunate to have had the Idol stage play a big part in my career. IF Idol wants to talk to me about Judging, I'd be more than flattered to have that conversation."
As for Sheen, he might be too busy for the gig following the debut of his new FX series Anger Management. And Lewis, like Sheen, is not exactly reknowned for his musical mentoring skills.
A rep for Idol did not immediately respond to THR's request for comment.
Leave it to Lythgoe to shake things up in the media following the news of Britney Spears' dramatic storm-off from the set of rival talent show The X Factor.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Jamie Lynn Spears Found Out She Was Pregnant In A Gas Station Bathroom
- Justin Timberlake Totally Missed The Point Of Jesse Williams' BET Speech
- Alicia Keys Took Her #NoMakeup Pledge To The BET Awards And Looked Absolutely Gorgeous
- Jennifer Hudson Wears A Prince-Inspired Look For Emotional BET Tribute
- Please Let’s Fantasy Cast This Upcoming Siegfried and Roy Biopic All Day and Every Which Way
- John Oliver Warns Americans That Something As Terrible As the Brexit Really Could Happen Here
- Every Game of Thrones Episode, Ranked From Worst to Best
- Rihanna’s ‘Sledgehammer’ Debuts on the Latest Star Trek Beyond Trailer, Because in Space, Everyone Can Hear You Croon