'American Idol' on the Charts: Adam Lambert Returns With a Lady Gaga Song
The season eight runner-up covers "Marry the Night" for "Glee" and debuts on the Pop Digital Songs tally.
‘NIGHT’ TIME: Adam Lambert doesn’t have a new album out yet but he does return to the Billboard charts this week, thanks to his cover of Lady Gaga’s “Marry the Night,” the song he performed on last week’s “Glee,” which featured songs by Lady Gaga as well as Katy Perry in the episode, “A Katy or a Gaga.”
The original version of “Marry the Night” by Lady Gaga peaked at No. 29 on the Hot 100 in the summer of 2011. Lambert’s remake debuts at No. 39 on the Pop Digital Songs chart.
Lambert made his Billboard chart debut the week of June 6, 2009, when eight of the songs he performed on American Idol all made their first appearances. Four of them bowed on the Hot 100 and four more entered the Bubbling Under the Hot 100 list. The highest-ranked was a cover of “Mad World,” which peaked at No. 19. The following year, Lambert had a bigger hit on the Hot 100 when “Whataya Want from Me” sailed to No. 10.
Counting back to his 2009 debut, Lambert’s chart span is now expanded to four years, five months and two weeks.
BITS AND PIECES: Daughtry’s current single, “Waiting for Superman,” keeps flying up the charts. This week it advances 19-17 on Adult Top 40. The parent album, Baptized, is released on Tuesday and will chart next week… Mandisa’s “Overcomer” is No. 1 for the ninth week on Christian Songs and for the eighth week on Christian Adult Contemporary… Phillip Phillips’ “Gone, Gone, Gone” holds at No. 3 on the Adult Contemporary chart, after rebounding last week…Fantasia’s “Without Me,” featuring Kelly Rowland and Missy Elliott, spends a third week in its peak position of No. 4 on Adult R&B, while her song with Joe, “Love & Sex,” is up 15-13, achieving a new peak position… Kelly Clarkson’s Wrapped in Red falls 3-6 on The Billboard 200 album chart. On Top Holiday Albums, the seasonal set falls to No. 2 as the Duck Dynasty clan takes over the top spot with Duck the Halls: A Robertson Family Christmas.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- A 40-Year-Old Woman Has A No. 1 Hit For The First Time In Nearly 16 Years
- Hamptons Journal: Nona Hendryx Pays Tribute to Bowie at LongHouse Reserve Jubilee/ Richard Mishaan's Design at Guild Hall, and the East Hampton Historical Society
- Teenager's Stunning Celine Dion Covers Will Make Your Jaw Drop
- Nick Cannon Let Loose In New 'Access Hollywood' Interview
- Hamilton's Renée Elise Goldsberry to Star in HBO's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Not Magnificent Enough, Now Chance the Rapper Is Making His Own Music Festival in Chicago
- Vladimir Putin Is Having a Rough Day Working the Phone for Donald Trump
- Everything You Missed at the Inaugural 2016 Panorama Festival