'American Idol' on the Charts: Jennifer Hudson Struts New Single onto Adult R&B
Also: Danny Gokey’s first Christian song rises on both sales and airplay tallies.
AND SHE’S NOT GOING: Season three alum Jennifer Hudson didn't register on the Billboard charts immediately after her year on American Idol. It took an Academy Award to push her first single to appear on the Adult R&B chart into the top three -- that was "And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going" from the soundtrack to Dreamgirls, the film that propelled her to a Oscar victory. Hudson has been unstoppable ever since. Her latest singe, "Walk It Out," is a new entry this week at No. 29.
"Walk It Out," featuring Timbaland, is Hudson’s 12th title to chart on Adult R&B. It's the follow-up to the top 10 hit “I Can't Describe (The Way I Feel),” which peaked at No. 7 in February. Hudson has earned six top 10s on Adult R&B, half the number of her one dozen charted hits.
"Walk It Out" is the third-highest ranking new entry of Hudson’s 12 singles. Her top debut was "Spotlight," which bowed at No. 24 in June 2008. In second place is "I Can't Describe," which opened at No. 27.
Hudson has topped the Adult R&B chart three different times. "Spotlight" had an eight-week reign; "If This Isn’t Love" ruled for three weeks in 2009 and "Where You At" spent a lone week on top in 2011.
'HOPE' FLOATS: This has been a very good chart week for season eight's Danny Gokey. His first Christian single, "Hope in Front of Me," is moving up on a number of charts, both sales and airplay-based.
The title song from Gokey's next album, due for release on June 23, "Hope" enjoyed a sales burst this week, which leads to a re-entry on Christian Digital Songs at No. 21. The single breaks into the top 20 on Hot Christian Songs with a move from 26 to 20. On Christian Airplay, "Hope" is up from 26 to 24. And on Christian Adult Contemporary, "Hope" rises 26 to 25.
Gokey didn’t perform on American Idol on top 3 night but he did have a few moments with host Ryan Seacrest. We'll see if Idol's Midas touch helps push the single even further up the charts next week.
BITS AND PIECES: Phillip Phillips' "Raging Fire" earns another top 10 berth as it improves 11-8 on Triple A Audience. The song also moves up on the main Triple A chart, from 10 to 9. Phillips' first album, The World from the Side of the Moon, re-enters Top Current Albums at No. 194… Mandisa's "Back to You" is up 16 to 15 on Christian Hot AC, 18 to 17 on Hot Christian Songs and 18 to 16 on Christian Adult Contemporary… "I Luh Ya Papi" by Jennifer Lopez featuring French Montana races from 40 to 32 on Hot Dance Club Play.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Season 2 Of 'Jessica' Jones' Will Be Directed Exclusively By Women
- Man Praises 'Luke Cage' For Showing Black Men In Hoodies Aren't Threats
- Come get to Know JAIN as she Talks About the French Grammys and Life as a Traveling Artist
- Justin Bieber Walked Offstage Mid-Concert Because Fans Wouldn't Stop Screaming
- Jay Z Will Reportedly Perform in Ohio to Get Black People to Vote for Hillary Clinton
- We Regret to Inform You That There's a Video for the Chainsmokers and Halsey's 'Closer'
- Watch Justin Bieber Storm Offstage After Angry Outburst at His Fans
- Netflix Is Adding $800 Million in Debt to Invest in Original Content; That’s More Than Enough for Three More Bloodlines!