'American Idol' on the Charts: Lee DeWyze Brings the 'Fight' to Adult Top 40
Season nine champ scores with 'Fight,' Second Release from 'Frames' album. Also: Jennifer Hudson's current hit breaks into the top 10 of the Adult R&B chart.
THE 'FIGHT' GAME: Lee DeWyze's second post-Idol album, Frames, was released in August 2013. Before the month was over, Frames debuted on three Billboard charts: Billboard 200, Top Current Albums and Top Rock Albums. This week, the second single from the album, "Fight," makes its bow on the Adult Top 40 tally, coming in at No. 40.
The Adult Top 40 radio format has been exceptionally friendly to Idol alum, with three of them reaching the No. 1 spot on this survey. The Idols who have topped this list are Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry and Phillip Phillips.
DESCRIPTIVE: After weeks of hovering at No. 11 or lower on the Adult R&B chart, Jennifer Hudson's current hit, "I Can't Describe (The Way I Feel)," breaks into the top 10, with a move of 12-9.
Like the Adult Top 40 format, Adult R&B radio has been very receptive to music recorded by the Idols. There are five songs by alumni of the TV series on this week's chart. Fantasia is down one rung, 2-3, with "Without You," which features Kelly Rowland and Missy Elliott. She also rebounds 16-14 with "Love And Sex," her duet with Joe, and is up 21-19 with her latest single, "Side Effects of You."
Also on Adult R&B this week is season 12 winner Candice Glover, with her single "Cried," taking a 24-23 hike.
BITS AND PIECES: Scotty McCreery's single "See You Tonight" continues its upward movement on four different charts. On the Hot 100, the song jumps 84-75, a new peak position in its eighth week on this chart. On Country Airplay the track advances 19-18 in its 40th week on the survey. On Country Digital Songs, "See You Tonight" is moving back up the chart, 24-22, after peaking at No. 14. And on Country Streaming Songs, "Tonight" lifts 20-19…Daughtry's "Waiting for Superman" is up 24-23 on Adult Contemporary in its third week on the chart. On the Hot 100, "Superman" slides one rung, 73-74…After 14 non-consecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Christian Adult Contemporary list, Mandisa's "Overcomer" falls to No. 2. The parent album re-enters the Billboard 200 at No. 192.
What's Hot In Music
Follow Idol Worship
- Nick Gurlach From Turbo Suit is Really as Awesome as He Seems
- Esquire Gathers Your Favorite Comedians To Uncover The Greatest Jokes Ever Told
- Demi Lovato Says She 'Wouldn't Be Alive' Without Wilmer Valderrama
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Clearly Not "Out of Time" - Stone Temple Pilots' Chester Bennington and Dean DeLeo Discuss the Evolution and Future of the Band
- American Ultra Trailer: Jesse Eisenberg Is a Stone(d) Cold Killer Who Will Save Kristen Stewart
- ‘Serial’ Will Have at Least 3 Seasons, With the Second One Coming This Fall
- The Artist to Watch in 2016 Has Been Dead for 20 Years
- Watch an Exclusive Clip From the Heavily Hyped Me and Earl and the Dying Girl